We built our first exhibit today! Yay! The main idea is to take some of the groups that we have in collections and build “exhibit” pages that will provide background information, further links and work to demonstrate why that group of cartoons can be viewed as a collection with a common theme. We started off by building an exhibit for the James Monroe Cartoons. It is slightly ironic that it is the smallest exhibit we have considering that the cartoons were housed at the James Monroe Museum.
The only downside of the new format we are using with omeka is that we are going to have to do some hand coding on some of the pages. Hopefully this won’t be too painful and will be part of the learning experience that is my training in digital literacy,
I have begun to upload all of the content labels to the website. It has been interesting looking at each of them as I put them up. I have not yet adjusted to the fact that content labels are meant to be a simple little snippet to engage the viewers interest and provide them with very basic facts on the image. I keep wanting to have more detail and more facts! But seeing how this is something I have felt all semester I don’t think it is likely that I will adjust/change in the last few weeks. I like the idea that leaving things simple can peak a viewers curiosity however and inspire them to possibly engage in further research on their own.